FACTS AND FIGURES
• Foundation as an Affiliation of Perm State Medical Academy: April 2, 1987.
• Status of Kirov State Medical Institute : May 3, 1994.
• Status of Kirov State Medical Academy : 1999.
• The latest certification and accreditation by the Education Ministry and Health Ministry of the Russian Federation: February 2004.
• Rating : 16, of 51 higher medical schools of Russia (est.2004)
• Faculties: 7 :
1. the Faculty of Internal Medicine
2. the Faculty of Pediatrics
3. the Faculty of Pre-College Education
4. the Faculty of Social Work
5. the Faculty of Professional Postgraduate Education
6. the Faculty of Higher Medical Nursing Education
7. the Faculty of Expertise and Economics.
• Pre-clinical majors: Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physics, Data Processing, Mathematics, Anatomy, Physiology, Pathological Anatomy, Pathological Physiology, Microbiology, General and social Hygiene, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Epidemiology, History of Medicine, Social disciplines, etc.
• Clinical majors: Internal Medicine, General Surgery, Surgical Diseases, Psy-chiatry, Psychology, Neurology, Otorhinolaryngology, Gastroenterology, Pulmonology, Hepatology, Endocrinology, Ophthalmology, Urology, Gynecology and Obstetrics, Pediatrics, Pediatric Surgery, Infectious Diseases, Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Immunology, Rheumatology, Dermatology, Hematology and Blood Transfusion, Public Health, etc.
• Two-year clinical residencies: Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Surgery, Neurology and Neurosurgery, Oncology, Pediatrics, Infectious Diseases, Rheumatology, Gynecology and Obstetrics, etc.
• Three-year research post graduate courses: Physiology, Pathological Physiology, Pathological Anatomy, Biophysics, Internal Medicine, Rheumatology, Cardiology, Surgery, Neurology and Neurosurgery, Oncology, Pediatrics, Infectious Diseases, Gynecology and Obstetrics, etc.
• Electives: over 100.
• Students: over 4,500.
• Graduates: over 4,000.
• Graduates with Diplomas with Honors: over 300.
• Origin and/or citizenship of KSMA’s students: residents of Kirov region, residents of Kirov region’s neighbors, residents of federal areas of Russia, citizens of the countries of the Commonwealth of Independent States, and Middle East and African countries.
• Educational departments : 46.
• Location of educational clinical departments : 23 teaching hospitals of the city of Kirov.
• Educators and clinical instructors : 269. Professors : over 40. Associate Professors : 144.
• Senior Instructors and Assistant Professors : over 80.
• Percentage of Professors and Associate Professors: about 80%.
• Affiliations : Komi Affiliation of Kirov State Medical Academy. Foundation : 1996. Courses : first-, second-, third-, fourth-, and fifth-year students.
• Hospital beds : 7,300
• the Faculty of Further Professional Postgraduate Education : Educational Departments : 4 : the Department of Internal Medicine ; the Department of Surgery ; the Department of Anesthesiology ; the Department of Pediatrics and Gynecology.
• Educational Curricula of the Faculty of Further Professional Postgraduate Education : 26.
• Physicians certified by the Faculty of Further Professional Postgraduate Education (est. 2003) : 1594.
• Up-to-date computers : over 300.
• Regular access to the Internet and free electronic resources.
• Data processing centers : 4.
• Library : 130,000 books and text books.
• CD-ROM banks: over 300 foreign CD-ROMs of 1999-2007.
• Student hostels: 4.
• Surgical operations performed by KSMA’s surgeons in 2007: over 5,000.
• Consultations of patients performed by KSMA’s clinical instructors in 2007: over 10,000.
• Scientific practical conferences (2007): 95.
• Scientific practical conferences organized by KSMA’s educational depart-ments (1987 - 2004): over 600.
• Monographs (1987-2004): over 120.
• Methodological books and booklets (1987-2004): over 550.
• Articles in central scientific journals and collections of scientific works (1987-2007): over 1,700.
• Abstracts of reports at national and international scientific meetings: over 4,200.
• Patents: over 140.
• Introduction of new diagnostic and treatment methods and techniques: over 100.
• Methodological newsletters under the supervision of the Health and Social Development Ministry: over 20.
• Methodological text books: over 100.
• Participation in student research work: over 400 students annually.
• Long-term international programs : « Hannover – Vyatka », « Alabama – Vyatka », « Oklahoma – Vyatka », « Atlanta – Vyatka », « London – Vyatka ».
• Visits of KSMA’s students and educators to foreign countries : over 500 (from 1992 to 2007).
• Visits of foreign students, educators, researchers and scientists to KSMA : over 700 (from 1992 to 2007).
• International conferences held at KSMA (1993-2007): over 90.
• Major medical and research areas of the above international conferences : Family Medicine, Surgery, Endosurgery, Hepatosurgery, Transplantation, Ophthalmology and Ophthalmosurgery, Neurology, Psychiatry, Oncology, Hematology, Leukemias, Non-Hodgekin’s Lymphomas, Experimental Medicine, Management of Research Institutions, Perspectives of International Collaboration, Medical Education, etc.
• Pre-college courses for foreign students : Russian; Biology ; Chemistry.
• Payment for the above pre-college courses: $ 1,500 per year excluding accommodation and visa expenditures. Accommodation : $ 800.
• Payment for the main undergraduate courses : $ 1,800 per year excluding accommodation and visa expenditures. Accommodation : $ 700.
• Payment for the postgraduate residency: $ 3,000 per year excluding accommodation and visa expenditures. Accommodation : $ 700.
• Location of KSMA : the city of Kirov, the capital of Kirov region, 896 km northeast of Moscow
• KSMA’s official address: 112, Karl Marx Street, Kirov, 610000, Russia
• Phone/fax: +7 (8332) 69 07 34 E-mail: email@example.com
Valentin A. Zhuravlev, M.D., the founder of Kirov State Medical Academy, the Russian Federation State Prize Winner of 1993 for achievements in hepatic surgery, St. Andrey Pervozvanny Prize Winner, Associate Member of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, a member of many international societies and associations, Honorary Member of the Academy of Medical Sciences of Poland, Academician of the European-Asian Academy of Medical Sciences, Academician of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences, Honorary Citizen of the City of Kirov, Honorary Citizen of Kirov Region, the Director of Kirov Interregional Center of liver and Bile Duct Surgery of the Health and Social Development Ministry of the Russian Federation, the author of over 500 monographs, text-books on liver surgery, methodological books and articles. Professor Valentin A. Zhuravlev has also the titles of "Distinguished Scientist of the Russian Federation”, "Distinguished Health Care Professional of the Russian Federation", "Distinguished Physician of the Russian Federation". Professor Valentin A. Zhuravlev was included in the Sixth Edition of “INTERNATIONAL DIRECTORY OF DISTINGUISHED LEADERSHIP”. He was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor and the Medal for Distinction in Labor.
Valentin Andreyevich Zhuravlev was born in the village of Chornaya Kholunitsa, Omutninsk District, Kirov region, Russia, on October 23, 1931. He completed his high school education with honors in 1950 and next turned his energies towards completing his medical education at Nizhny Novgorod Medical Academy. In 1956, after graduation with honors he embarked on a very hard surgical career in the city of Angarsk, Irkutsk region, Siberia, and very soon earned the reputation of a talented skilled surgeon. In 1961, after his five-year surgical experiences Dr. Zhuravlev entered a research postgraduate course in surgery at Kirov Research Institute of Hematology and Blood Transfusion. In 1964, the young talented researcher's report was a great success at the certification session of the Certification Scientific Board that granted him his first research degree. Between 1964 and 1969, for five years the intelligent and knowledgeable scientist and surgeon worked as a research associate at Kirov Research Institute of Hematology and Blood Transfusion. In 1969, due to his accomplishments and good scientific reputation Dr. Zhuravlev was unanimously elected Chief of the surgical clinic of the Institute of Hematology and Blood Transfusion. In 1971 Dr. Zhuravlev earned the highest scientific degree for his deep investigation devoted to methods of resections and indications for resections in cases of severe focal diseases of the liver. In 1978 Professor Zhuravlev was appointed Head of Kirov Research Institute of Hematology and Blood Transfusion and continued working as the Chief of his surgical clinic. Due to his achievements and great efforts Kirov Interregional Center of Hepatosurgery was established, and within a few years it could earn the highest-level reputation of the unique surgical treatment center for severe focal diseases of the liver. In 1987 Professor Zhuravlev became the organizer and framer of Kirov State Medical Institute. In 1993 Professor Zhuravlev was awarded Russia's highest and most prestigious scientific prize. The Russian Committee for State Prizes in Science and Technology decided on Professor Zhuravlev's nomination due to his overall accomplishments and contributions to liver surgery.